Flowers and bee

Flowers and bee

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Unhooked Generation - Single people running amuck!

Unhooked Generation: The Truth About Why We're Still Single by Jillian Straus has some interesting points. Being single, I thought this book would prove to be thought provoking.

She believes that there are "evil" influences on single folks. Her list of reasons contains the concepts:
- There is too high a celebrity standard
- There is a divorce effect from so many divorces in our culture
- We live in a multiple choice culture which overwhelms people
- There is fallout from delaying marriage
- There are inadvertent problems from feminism
- The strong "cult of I " in our culture

The fact that she worked for Oprah, I thought would produce a interesting twist. So, I was a bit amazed that she blamed so much on feminism. And really, some of the issues - were not really feminist! I think she needed to do a bit more research on the history of feminism.

Does this book help "solve" the problem and provide answers? Not really - but she does raise interesting questions. Some of them I agree with and some I don't. Decide for yourself.

No comments: