Flowers and bee

Flowers and bee

Friday, August 31, 2007

Whiskey Sour

J.A. Konrath's book Whiskey Sour, features a Chicago policewoman named Jack Daniels. Lt. Daniels (she got stuck with her name when she married and didn't change it after the divorce) works very hard for her violent crimes unit, and has an appalling lack of a social life. This police procedural features the case of a serial killer who mutilates his victims. But in the midst of the case, Daniels is an appealing character - a bit of a cynic, but someone you want to root for especially after the killer finds her fascinating as well.

I really enjoyed the book in spite of the fact that this is something I would not normally pick up at first glance. I am reading it for a book discussion. It is a bit too gory (for me) in places - but perhaps I just have a vivid visual imagination when I read. But there is something always interesting in taking a chance on a new author or new genre that is a bit more than your used to. If you don't like it - the result can be agonizing- to have wasted your reading time and energy on something you really dislike. Or it can be a pleasant surprise and a new discovery. Try something new, you might like it. Or in my case, I found a new mystery series to watch for. Don't know if I will read every page of the gruesome details, but I really like this character and want to see her go places.

No comments: