Flowers and bee

Flowers and bee

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Belle Weather

Columnist, Celia Rivenbark makes us laugh again with Belle Weather: Mostly Sunny With a Chance of Scattered Hissy Fits. I'm not quite sure what makes me laugh so hard at her work. Is it the southern flavor? I don't live in the south so is it "really" southern. Is her gentle but snarky (hard to combo but I think it works) jabs to one and all of her favorite topics? Or is it the ride of the absurd as she gives us a rambling tale that ends with us saying "Huh? Didn't we start back over there? " Or is just her funny turn of phrase?

Some examples:
On online dating-
"Her friend complained 'There ain't nothing out there for the rednecks.' ...but "listing one of her 'unique attributes' as the 'ability to pee off the side of my daddy's bass boat while standing' wasn't the sort of thing most on-line dating services could really appreciate."

On how she is disappointed in the 'new' TV Guide magazine-
"...I always felt that the Holy Grail would be to write the program synopses for TV Guide. It wasn't my fallback, it was my dream job and now, verily, it will never be. ...I pictured being paid a big pile of money to watch hundreds of hours of TV before reducing a complicated plot line to few powerful nouns and verbs."

And her open letter to Britney Spears is something to read...
"Through all the wild partying and head shaving and fornicating and tattooing and what not I've got your back. Even though, when you shaved your head , you looked like the world's only redneck Tibetan monk. ...I didn't lose faith in you."

A little essay here, a little essay there - fun for all abounds. A fun read for a crummy time.

No comments: