Flowers and bee

Flowers and bee

Friday, May 09, 2008

I Was Told There'd Be Cake

Essays can be quite personal. In Sloane Crosley's I Was Told There'd Be Cake, we find out about her family, friends, and twenty-something life in New York City. It doesn't sound fascinating, but she does it with such a mixture of humor, irony and pathos, that you find the joy she does in the absurdities of modern society.

Some highlights: finding a surprise on your bathroom floor after a dinner party with friends, failing as a butterfly volunteer, surviving a crummy boss, trying out to be Mary in a summer camp pageant and how to survive being a bridesmaid. I would not advise giving that one to any current bride to be - they will find no humor in it - but I thought it was one of the funniest things I have read about weddings in a long time.

This is her debut book. I looking forward to many more. A very good read.

No comments: